Friday, July 6, 2007

Manali and Delhi


This morning I arrived in Delhi. Back in the heat, pollution, and noise. On the plus side, Delhi has a Metro system that, after one ride on it, seems quite nice. I have today and the next two days to explore it. So far I have gone to Connaught Circle to pick up my plane ticket, gone to Barista (Indian version of Starbucks I guess you could say) and gone to an internet place. Yes, I've really dived into Indian culture today!

Anyway, I found Manali to be quite lovely. I really have no good stories to tell. I hiked here and there, read quite a bit, and just soaked up the cool, temperate weather. The scenery was quite nice too: small rivers with ice-cold water, mountains covered with pine trees, and even some snow capped mountains.

Also, Kullu Valley (that's where Manali is situated) is the first place I can recall where I have seen cannabis growing all over the place. Apparently it is the 2nd biggest crop in the region; apples are #1. Maybe that is one reason why some travelers end up being there for quite awhile. One English couple I met had been there for a little over 3 weeks. In their defense, they were taking a yoga class.

Finally, I found the 16 hr bus ride to be all right. I got a "sleeper" seat which allowed me to stretch out. I think I was able to sleep as well; if not then my energy level right now is quite impressive. My guidebook said I would be dropped off by the New Delhi train station. I, and the other western travelers on board, thought we were close to the Main Bazaar road, which is where most budget lodging is. Therefore, when the rickshaw drivers were asking for 100 rupees, we were quite aghast. since no one was willing to go below that price, I hopped in with two Israelis and went with them to a hotel that they had heard about.

Well it turned out we dropped off in the boondocks of northeast Delhi. Took about 30 minutes before we reached our hotel; I joked to the Israeli girl that she had gotten a better price than we had thought. I should also credit the Israeli couple for knowing about this hotel. I'm paying 250 rupees (little over 6 bucks) for a room with its own bathroom, a tv, and an air cooler. Not bad for central delhi.

No comments: