Saturday, July 7, 2007

During most of my travels, I have been alone. I generally don't mind and its upsides include following my own plan and not having to care about anyone else. Also, I am more "accessible" to locals. While I cannot be certain, I have a feeling more locals have approached me because I am alone. If I had a companion(s), people would feel more shy and intimidated to approach. I know I have had a couple experiences here that many other travelers have not had. While I would like to think it is beause I am special and skilled, I am pretty certain my solitude- and perhaps my friendly demeanor- is the root cause (yuck, that's a favorite term of my former supervisor, God help me). I also tend to go with the flow and see where things lead me; well on this trip I have at least.

Anyway, the one part I hate about being by myself is eating. I hate eating by myself in a restaurant. I have done it many times but it still isn't any easier for me. Supposedly one gets over a fear after doing it over and over. That hasn't happened for me in this case. Here is the problem: every restaurant presents a new fear for me. That is, if I go to a restaurant and feel reasonably comfortable, I can go again and again to that one restaurant with no problem. That is part of the reason I had a restaurant "rotation" in Yemen, and went to a couple select ones while living in Korea.

The problem while traveling, however, is you are always changing locations. You might feel comfy at a restaurant but who really cares because you're adios in a day or two.

What fears pop into my head? If it is a local restaurant (ie no or few tourists frequent it) then I have these fears:
1. The "procedure" fear. Do I sit at a table? Do I order at the counter? Which counter do I order at? This is more of an issue in Malaysia with its ubiquitous food centers than elsewhere.
2. Menu fear. Will they have a menu in English? Do they know any English?
3. Price fear. Will they overcharge me? This happened frequently in Egypt, except there I could read Arabic, and "stick it to them." I know I've been overcharged here in India. They only overcharge you 5-50 cents, but when your meal is a buck or less, that is a big mark-up. Throw in the fact they are taking advantage of your ignorance and you have some unhappy times.

My one fear at tourist restaurants? That I look like a loser since I'm all by myself. It is a juvenille fear, but it is there.

That is why I go to places like McDonald's and Barista, although the former also brings out an insecurity of mine (people will think I'm lame and can't handle the local food). If I had a travel companion, I would never go to McDonald's (but I would go to Barista for its tastey drinks). How does having a companion erase all those fears? Because it is much easier to look like a fool with someone else. Knowing you're not the only idiot around can be very comforting.

That being said, nearly every time after I finish a meal on my own here, I get this gigantic high and feel like I can do nearly anything.

No comments: