Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Final post

Since I'm back in the States now, no real reason to continue this blog right? Seems silly. Therefore I will just say that after having the foods I missed (including sourdough bread, Mexican, family's spaghetti) I'm ready to return to Asia. Alas, I don't think I will be back in the near future (ie the next couple years). Oh well, c'est la vie.

Today I dropped off the family suburu to get some work done on it. I got some french toast at a popular breakfast place nearby- Momma's Royal Cafe. Afterwards, I walked down to BART. While doing so, an AC transit bus drove by. I saw it pull over to a couple stops to let passengers off and pick some up. It made me sad. The process was so clean and straight forward. I nostalgically recalled the beat-up Dhaka buses with the dudes banging on the sides, calling out the destinations of the buses. It is much more entertaining that way.

I then thought, "well Sean, you hated walking down the streets because of the lack of sidewalks and all the obstacles in your path." True. But then I thought, "How many times did i long to be walking in Oakland, or anywhere in the USA when I was in South Asia? Not one time." I might have been a bit unhappy, but the craziness overcame the frustrating parts of the experience. That was true for many aspects of life over there. So it goes.

So now I prepare to move down to San Diego and start my studies at UCSD. The biggest reason I'm in this program is to make it easier for me to live and work in Asia. This trip has served as a reinforcement of that goal.

I guess that's it. woo hoo.

1 comment:

Hein Roehrig said...

It was great fun reading your reports. Why don't you continue posting your observations and insights?