Sunday, July 8, 2007

Final Days in India and Delhi


Since I had two days to explore Delhi, I decided to devote one day to New Delhi and one day to Old Delhi. Well actually it turned out to be half days for both. Yes, I am the ambitious, go out and see everything type. Right.

So New Delhi... I strolled around Connaught Circle, checking out the variety of shops and whatnot. I got a sandwich at subway. Shame on me- I know. I then headed down a tree-lined street called Janpath. It wasn't too exciting. Janpath led me to Rajpath, which was a bit more impressive. It was Delhi's Mall pretty much. At one end was "India Gate" which is India's version of the Arc de Truimphe. It was built by the Brits in honor of the Indians who died in WW I fighting for the British. At the other end of the mall is the President's house. It makes the white house look like a joke; to say the complex is grandiose is an understatement. I should note that the President in India is like our VP: pretty much powerless. Right nearby was Parliament, which might have been quite pleasant, but it was pretty hard to get close to it. I suppose that is what happens when a building is attacked by terrorists (as it was a few years ago). I am pretty sure Bangladesh's parliament building is more impressive though. Congrats Bangladesh, you better India in one way at least.

And today Old Delhi. I was there for about an hour. Old delhi doesn't look so old. I felt like I was in old dhaka, except without my friends. In other words, I found it to be pretty dumpy and not worth exploring except for a) the red fort b) the Jama Masjid (pictured above).

I approached the mosque in the wrong direction. As I was walking down the street, and the mosque came into view, I thought, "This is the largest mosque in India?? This is a joke." Alas, by the time I walked around the entire place, I realized I had come in from the side. Gates 1 & 2 made the mosque look that much more impressive. The stairs leading up it were packed with people and the mosque itself was filled with guys just chilling out.

After exploring the mosque, I decided I wouldn't find any other better highlight of old Delhi, so I headed back to the Metro. I should note that the Metro sells ticket cards that you can quickly scan at the turnstiles, and your fare is automatically deducted. this is pretty much universal in asian metro/subway systems these days. WHY THE HELL ISN'T BART DOING THIS?? Well it just started last spring, but it is in a trial run. Bloody India, a country with a yearly GDP per capita of $3,800 (according to the CIA) has a city with a more advanced subway system than one of the most cosmopolitan metro areas in the USA. It's a disgrace. Oh, and of course my cellphone worked on the Delhi subway. Does it underground on BART? At about 4 stations in SF, that's it. well done BART, WELL DONE. OK, let's get back to Delhi shall we?

Following my brief tour of Old Delhi, I headed back to Connaught Circle to grab some dinner. I've been to McDonald's, Subway, so what does that leave? KFC! Just kidding, I didn't go there. No, I went to a restaurant called the Banana Leaf, which serves south Indian food. Before tonight, I had never had South Indian food. Well if tonight's meal is average (or even slightly above average) for south indian food, I have to say it some divine stuff. Why the hell didn't I try this stuff earlier?? I had a masala dosa with a coconut sauce and some type of chutney on the side. Fantastic stuff, best Indian food I've had in this country. I also had a chocolate shake, which was quite tasty as well. Great last meal to have in India, I can tell you that much.

Following that, I hung out in the actual circle of Connaught. It has a number of small lawns, trees, bridges going over some small bodies of water, and a sitting area. Quite pleasant place to spend on a warm evening. I just hung out there for about an hour people watching. I really do not think there is any country better for people watching than India. There such a wide range of people that one can pass the time quite easily just looking at everyone else walking by. The best place to do it is in a railway station. I think everyone should do that at least once in their life- seriously. I guarantee you it will be one of the most memorable experiences of your life.

Anyway, I knew that after a bit, someone would want to talk to me. This time it turned out to be a student of tourism who graduates next winter. After chatting to him for a bit, I decided I should bid him adieu and check my e-mail to make sure I have a place to stay in Singapore.
And I do. staying at a place called Sleepy Sam's. I will be sleeping in a dorm room. Haven't done that since Bangkok.

So tomorrow morning I'm saying adios to India. I am honestly a little sad to be leaving. It would be fun to explore it a bit more. I will try my hardest to return in the future and explore the south (and that was a decision I made before tonight's dinner).

That's all for now.. Oh, some Indian dudes have just whipped out tall beers here at the internet cafe. Sweet!

No comments: